Sunday, July 13, 2008

Our 4th of July weekend

For the 4th of July Scott and I went up to Idaho to visit his family since we had a longer weekend. We left on Thursday afternoon. I had a short day at work and Scott did too, so we were happy to be leaving early. Scott was up in Salt Lake and we decided I would just meet him up there. I didn't feel comfortable leaving one of our cars in a parking lot somewhere over the weekend, so I decided to ride the bus up there. No worries though, I got on the right one this time.

So we were on the road by 3:30 and there was quite a bit of traffic. I decided to take a little nap in the car. When I woke up, it had been 2 hours since we left and Scott said had only gone 40 miles! I didn't believe it and just thought he was over exaggerating until I saw sign that let me know we hadn't even made it to Ogden yet!! Once we got past Ogden traffic did get better, but we still didn't get to his parents house until after 8.

The next morning we went over to his grandparents house for a picnic with his mother's side of the family that lives close. The picnic was good and afterwards we played a game of croquet. Scott and I played with his brother Alex, sister Shawndra, and his mom and dad. I came in dead last, and of course Scott was first.



After the picnic we headed for Jackson Hole. It was a pretty drive and we got there around 4pm. Once there, we went on the Alpine Slide. Before you can even get on the chairlift you have to sign a waiver in case you get hurt or die! Once you're at the top there's two tracks that come back down. You grab you slide and can control how fast or slow you go. The tracks were really bumpy but it was fun to try.



We then went back toward the center of town just in time to catch the famous "Town Square Shoot-Out." A local playhouse puts on the show every night for several months of the year, and has for over 50 years. It was fun to watch that and then we headed for dinner. We went to the Teton Steak House, where our friend Bobby worked for 4 summers. After dinner we did a lot of walking around and window shopping. Jackson Hole is a cute small town. At the town square there is a park and at each corner there are huge arches made out of real elk antlers. There is a reservation close by where the elk come and stay during the winter. When they shed the antlers they get collected and added to the arches. It's pretty cool.







The fireworks were supposed to start at 10pm, but around 9 we all decided that we would rather start to head home. It's about an hour drive back and we were getting tired. On the drive home we caught a few small fireworks coming from a distance. This was the first year I haven't seen a real firework show, but I was okay with that.

The next morning the boys all went golfing while the girls stayed home. I enjoyed hanging out with the family. After we had dinner that evening we all went into town to see Kung Fu Panda, which I actually liked. Then on Sunday we left for home. I really enjoyed the weekend up there and being able to get away from home for a few days.

2 comments:

Arya said...

It sounds like you had a great trip! It's always good to get out and see family.

Ericka said...

Looks like fun! So, what is the slide? How big is it? See you in about a week!